Sunday, May 4, 2014

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears...Oh My!!!

 Lions, and tigers, and bears...oh my!  I LOVE teaching about animals! It's one of my favorite science units in third grade, unlike *cough* Energy and Heat *cough*.  Any who,  I thought I'd take the time to share some of the fun activities we've been up to...


It looks like a zoo in here! 

No, I'm not talking about the disorganized mess in the corner of this photo (yikes!) My students were asked to bring in a stuffed animal to school for their homework.  We then did some research to classify our animals.


Next up we placed our animals into the wild! Also known as...butcher paper.  Students had some great conversations and debates on where to place their animal based on their animal's needs.  We also noticed some food chains, one poor lamb was almost sacrificed by her owner when she was placed next to a gray wolf! 



I've already blogged about these cute camo critters, but I just love them so much! You can read about theme HERE



This last week we read What if You Had Animal Teeth, which is such a fun read! If you don't have it in your classroom library, I STRONGLY recommend it.  The kids love the short bursts of informational text and the silly illustrations.



After completing a close read of the text, my students built this sticky-note chart filled with facts about some of the animal teeth included in the book.  


We then used this chart as inspiration for an opinion piece.  My students formed an opinion on what type of animal teeth they wish they could have.  The chart was used to help provide evidential reasons that supported their opinions.


This adorable craftivity was found on TPT by one of my awesome teammates. Unfortunately, I'm unsure of who the creator is.  If you know, please let me know! I'd love to give credit!


Isn't this the cutest!? I can't wait until I hang these up in the hallway! 


Something else we've been loving? Watching Planet Earth DVDs while we pack up for the day! 

This week we'll be creating habitat murals, I can't wait to see what kinds of ideas they come up with!!



post signature

1 comment:

  1. I'm dying at the sacrificing of the lamb. Then it made me sad because I used to have a stuffed lamb that I named Lamby. Then I wanted a stuffed animal and well it's kind of like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I could be here all day. Love all your activities! You're so sassy and creative!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete