Thursday, July 4, 2013

Integrating Technology into Math

 
I'm happy to link up again with Kristin at iTeach 1:1 and Aylin & Amanda at Learning to the Core for another week of Tune into Technology! For those of you that don't know, I'm thrilled to be able to have a 1:1 classroom this year with my district's iPads!  At the end of this past school year I had the opportunity to experiment with the iPads in my classroom and I'm really looking forward to all of the posts that link up to this PARTAY!
 
One of my favorite apps to use was ShowMe.  ShowMe became my best friend! I used this app throughout the day and with many different subjects, however it was used almost daily during math.  This app served as an interactive whiteboard for my students during my math lessons.   Students also created recordings of themselves solving math problems independently and then posted them for me to view at a later time.  I LOVE that the videos were there in my inbox waiting for me to grade at my convenience!
 
I also created videos with ShowMe on some sample problems from math.  My students were able to view them on their iPads while at school.  This gave my students another resource to use while waiting for me to get to their desk during independent work.  Independent problem solving!? I'll take it!! Here is a sample video of one I created on finding elapsed time on a number line:
 
These same videos I was able to upload onto my classroom website for viewing at home.  I call this section Homework Helper.  With the new Common Core standards I found that some of my parents were confused by some of the new vocabulary and strategies being used.  By watching the video it provided a review for students and a quick tutorial for those panicked parents! ;)
 
I could go on and on about ShowMe, it really was a great asset to my classroom and I think I was only just scratching at the surface of what it can really do!
 
Be sure to check out all of the other great ideas at the Tune into Technology party! 
 
Happy Birthday America!

6 comments:

  1. Show Me is such a great tool for a 1:1 classroom or any classroom for that matter! I love your video and the fact that kids can watch it at home too. There are many great videos available online but nothing can compare to the ones you create yourself! Have you ever thought about flipping your classroom? I'm going to a PD this summer to learn more about it because I'd like to attempt it in math this year. Thanks for linking up!!:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    Show Me is one of our daily apps too-- and you are so right, the options are endless!
    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up! :) Love "Show Me" even for my little guys! As much as I have had them use it I haven't ever thought about uploaded it to my website for them to be able to do at home-what a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for sharing...I feel like my "wheels" are turning for all of the possibilities of this application especially to be able to be used at home!!!

    PS I LOVE that you are an Illinois blogger too!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. Show me is great, just like Explain Everything. Just so easy for the kids (and teachers) to learn and apply.
    this also works well for the idea of Flipping but at a level that isn''t quite as overwhleming.
    I do like this as a way for students to share the work they've been doing with parents too.

    side note: Vimeo is the way that I like to go with uploading movies too.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ShowMe. A great free app that can be posted on a blog/website. I also love that parents can view ShowMe lessons, so they know how their child is learning math.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of this app...will be looking into it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete